Yes, this is a real quote. Yes, I laughed out loud when I read it.
Back in March 2012, there was a NIP incident at a waterpark and the issue blew up all over their Facebook page. It got very heated and many of us spent a long time trying to defend our rights to nurse in public and we provided fact after fact to negate all the ignorant comments other people were spewing.
This quote, however, really hit a nerve with me. I’m so tired of hearing this said by people who have no clue what goes into pumping. They think it’s just so simple….
I wrote this in response:
I still want to know how you would define pumping as “simple”…you have never breastfed, so I assume that means you have never used a pump. So, please explain to me how you know it’s “simple”.
Let me try to explain why you are very ignorant on this subject.
1. Some moms do not respond to a breast pump and they get no milk…they are not the same as a baby nursing. Babies are born to breastfeed.
2. Do you know how long it takes to pump just ONE bottle? One pumping session is 20-30 MINUTES and you may get less than an ounce or two…maybe more if you are lucky…and babies eat like 3-4 + oz.per feeding..Sooo, that ONE bottle could take multiple pumping sessions over HOURS!!…
3. Did you know that not every baby takes a bottle? What then?!
4. And while she’s giving this bottle, she’s not removing the milk from her breast, so she gets engorged and starts developing a clogged duct that can turn into mastitis and require a doctor visit and antibiotics
5. Then her milk supply dwindles due to missing a feeding so her body thinks she doesn’t need the milk anymore and she can’t make enough milk later to feed him.
6. And then the mom has to drag a screaming hungry baby (and other screaming kids) around to find a place to heat the bottle….
Yeah, it’s just that simple to pump and feed a bottle………..or she could just take a few seconds and nurse her baby, straight from the tap, just like nature intended!
Do you have anything to add to this list? What other ignorant comments have you heard regarding nursing in public? Leave a comment!